National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities
Founded in 1975, the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities (NJCLD) is a national committee of representatives of organizations committed to the education and welfare of individuals with learning disabilities.
LD OnLine is pleased to serve as the official web site for the NJCLD.
Click below for the following information:
The mission of the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities (NJCLD) is to provide multi-organizational leadership and resources to optimize outcomes for individuals with learning disabilities.
- Facilitate communication, collaboration, and consensus among member organizations.
- Identify and address needs in research, policy, and professional education and development related to learning disabilities.
- Provide an interdisciplinary forum to increase communication and understanding among educational organizations, community, and governmental agencies at the national, state, and local levels.
- Act as an advocate and make recommendations on key issues affecting individuals with learning disabilities.
- Develop and disseminate statements, reports, and other resources in the area of learning disabilities to clarify issues, influence policy, improve practice, and increase knowledge.
The current definition of learning disabilities was formally adopted by the NJCLD in 1990.
NJCLD fact sheet
Click here to download the NJCLD fact sheet.
NJCLD membership requirements
Click here to download the NJCLD membership requirements.
About LD / Definition of LD /Policy Implications
- NJCLD Definition
- Report: Learning Disabilities: Implications for Policy Regarding Research and Practice (2011)
- Symposium: Affirming the Validity of the LD Construct: Implications for Policy, Research, and Practice (5/23/11)
- Report: Adolescent Literacy and Older Students with Learning Disabilities (2008)
- Executive Summary of Adolescent Literacy and Older Students with Learning Disabilities Report
- Symposium: Adolescent Literacy and Students with Learning Disabilities: Building Effective Programs & Partnerships (6/5/09)
Assessment / Evaluation
- Report: Comprehensive Assessment and Evaluation of Students with LD (2010)
- Executive Summary of Comprehensive Assessment and Evaluation of Students with Learning Disabilities Report (2010)
- Symposium: Comprehensive Assessment and Evaluation of Students with LD (6/4/10)
- Report: State and District-Wide Assessments and Students with Learning Disabilities: A Guide for States and School Districts (2004)
Common Core State Standards
- Symposium: Helping K-12 and Postsecondary Students with Learning Disabilities in an Era of the Common Core State Standards (6/3/13)
- Symposium Proceedings
- Symposium Agenda
- Suggested References and Resources
- Speaker Bios
- Speaker Photos
- PowerPoint Presentations:
- Mark Griffin, Common Core State Standards in Context: Can it Work for Children with Learning Disabilities?
- Beth Poss, Common Core State Standards and Learning Disabilities: Supporting Students Through a Universally Designed for Learning Curriculum
- Barbara Marinak, Humanizing RTI: Nurturing Expertise and Collaboration at the Table
Early Childhood / Early Identification
Federal Research Investments
- Symposium: National Research to Practice Discussion (7/30/12)
- Symposium agenda
- PowerPoint Presentations:
- Brett Miller, PhD, Updates from NICHD: Current Directions in Learning Disabilities Research
- Deborah Speece, PhD, National Center for Special Education Research Overview
Response to Intervention
Transition to College and Career / Postsecondary
- Report: Documentation Disconnect for Students with Learning Disabilities: Improving Access to Postsecondary Disabilities Services (2007)
- Executive Summary of the Documentation Disconnect Report
- Symposium: Transition to Higher Education for Students with Learning Disabilities: Building Effective Partnerships and Resources (5/30/08)
- Brochure: Transition to School and Work: A blueprint for your child's success after high school (2007)
Stan Dublinske, NJCLD Secretary/Treasurer
Mary Beth Klotz, PhD, NCSP, NJCLD Chair
Director, IDEA Projects and Technical Assistance
National Association of School Psychologists
The NJCLD reports prior to 2004 are archived on the NJCLD website for historic and research purposes.
View archives >>
* To view this file, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Reader. Most computers already have it installed, or you can download it now.
Proceeds from the sale of books purchased from our recommended books section can help support LD OnLine.
The NJCLD thanks LD OnLine for generously hosting the website. The NJCLD does not endorse the commercial products advertised on this site.