1) Are there certain colleges that accommodate students with LD or ADHD?

There are many options available to individuals with learning disabilities who are interested in attending college. Most colleges and universities have some type of services available to students with learning disabilities. Some colleges, moreover, have made it their sole mission to educate individuals with learning disabilities. These colleges include Landmark College (VT), Beacon College (FL), and Mitchell College (CT).

In addition, there are many colleges that not only accept students with learning disabilities, but have programs within their colleges specifically for students with learning disabilities. Many of the programs have separate admissions procedures and qualifications for entrance as well as structured support systems.

The following articles have information about planning for college:

The University of Virginia's Curry School of Education hosts a very helpful website with information on post-secondary schools accommodating special needs students. It lists some colleges and universities as well as relevant articles. After checking out the other pages, go to the Instant Access Treasure Chest for even more resources.

Collegeboard.com is a site for those seeking colleges that match their needs and desires. Go to College Search, and fill out the survey, marking that learning disabilities services are needed.

You may also find the following books helpful:

Finally, you may wish to contact the agencies below. Their sole mission is to provide information to students with disabilities and their families on obtaining a post secondary education:

2) What rights do I have as a college student with learning disabilities?

Four federal laws impact postsecondary education for learning disabled students in the Unites States: the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The following websites will give you up-to-date, accurate information regarding these laws:

3) Can my son receive modifications and use assistive technology during the SAT?

ETS, the publisher of the SAT, offers many options for its test-takers, but the process for getting approval takes seven weeks at the minimum. In most cases, the evaluation and diagnostic testing documentation needs to have been completed within 5 years of the request for modifications.

Your child may request to use AT for his documented disability. Note that there are no additional fees for any testing modifications.

For more information on the documentation criteria, please visit Services for Students with Disabilities (College Board). You can also contact ETS Disability Services directly at 1-866-387-8602.

Also, there are several online practice sites where your child can gain practice and familiarity with the computer-based test format. Check out the practice sections and tests at:

Sponsored Links
About these ads
Consumer Tips