IEPs and Legal Issues

Where Do you go From Here?

Author Message
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
Posts: 1
Other Topics
Posted Mar 07, 2007 at 10:48:35 PM
Subject: Where Do you go From Here?

Ok so im really new to this and its all so confussing. I Have a DD that has just been given the testing thur the school system and has quified for with a Learning disablity. I guessing this is meaning the IDEA act. Which is stated in the reports. So After all this testing im thinking great now she can get help that her teacher and I have been request for the whole school year. Only today after school picking up my child her teacher telling me No the exrta help wont start intill next year and they still didnt do any father testing to see if to not what learning disabilties she had. All because during the test the school psychologist report her finds her my DD to have high testing in Math. But her TEacher reports she is the bottom 2 of her class. Come to find out the Psycologist only did five math problems and based her findings on that. I did take my daughter to the doctors and she was put on a low dose of meds to help her focus more and her teacher is also telling me now that the school will wait to do anything more now becuase of the meds. I'm just wondering at what point can i expect the school to help her and Why are the waiting now? thanks Star

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Jul 11, 2005
Posts: 550

Other Topics
Posted:Mar 09, 2007 9:00:01 AM

If your dd qualified for an IEP, the school has to provide one within a specific time, according to IDEA. I believe its within 60 business days. http://www.wrightslaw.com has all sorts of articles on the different laws. If you do a search for IEP qualification and implementation, you should come up with info that will help you. You can also contact your state education office and they can help answer your questions.

Also, it sounds like the testing was very inadequate. You can now write a letter requesting an Independent Educational Evaluation at public expense, if you disagree with the school findings or think they are not showing enough info to help your dd.

You may also want to consider getting an educational advocate. There are free services in all states. Sometimes even mentioning that you are getting an advocate can "kick start" a school to action because they know you are educating your self and are serious about your child's educational rights.

scifinut mom to: ms 15, bp/adhd/anxiety/complex ld mr. 20, add/dyslexic I hear and I forget I see and I remember I do and I understand. -Anonymous

scifinut mom to: ms 16, bp/adhd/anxiety/complex ld mr. 20, add/dyslexic I hear and I forget I see and I remember I do and I understand. -Anonymous

Back to top Profile Email