IEPs and Legal Issues

Author Message
Joined: Jul 11, 2005
Posts: 550
Other Topics
Posted Mar 08, 2007 at 9:25:01 AM

If your dd qualified for an IEP, the school has to provide one within a specific time, according to IDEA. I believe its within 60 business days. http://www.wrightslaw.com has all sorts of articles on the different laws. If you do a search for IEP qualification and implementation, you should come up with info that will help you. You can also contact your state education office and they can help answer your questions.

Also, it sounds like the testing was very inadequate. You can now write a letter requesting an Independent Educational Evaluation at public expense, if you disagree with the school findings or think they are not showing enough info to help your dd.

You may also want to consider getting an educational advocate. There are free services in all states. Sometimes even mentioning that you are getting an advocate can "kick start" a school to action because they know you are educating your self and are serious about your child's educational rights.

scifinut mom to: ms 16, bp/adhd/anxiety/complex ld mr. 20, add/dyslexic I hear and I forget I see and I remember I do and I understand. -Anonymous

Back to top Profile Email