Postsecondary Education

health ins for college student with disabilities

Author Message
Joined: Sep 11, 2007
Posts: 2
Other Topics
Posted Sep 11, 2007 at 8:53:22 AM
Subject: health ins for college student with disabilities

Our daughter will be turning 19. She is on our insurance from work. She goes to a community college, but is not taking the required 12 credits to be considered fulltime by the registrar because with her LD (CAPD, dyslexia, etc) she has to work so hard now I can't imagine what it would be like with a full load The disabilities office gave her a letter saying they considered her full time with 9 credits but the registrar is balking. Has anyone else run into this? We need it resolved within 2 weeks or she will lose insurance coverage
I am double posting this to legal issues because I wasn't sure where it should go

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Sep 12, 2006
Posts: 31

Other Topics
Posted:Dec 10, 2007 8:54:39 AM

Hello Mary,

Not sure if your issue has been resolved. Have you checked your daughter’s college catalog to see what it states with regards to unit totals and what is considered full or part time?

Also have you contacted your insurance carrier to see what they consider to be full or part time status? Do they consider everything over nine units to be fulltime etc?

Your daughter is 19-years-old, does she currently have any health issues that require the insurance? Most universities and community colleges have student health centers.

If she is 19 and healthy you don’t have anything to worry about unless she gets into a freak accident. I went through most of my undergraduate career without health insurance and if I wasn’t feeling well, I would go to the health center.

Back to top Profile Email