Teaching Students with LD and ADHD

How to proceed with testing/the district?

Author Message
Joined: Nov 07, 2007
Posts: 5
Other Topics
Posted Nov 07, 2007 at 5:33:39 PM
Subject: How to proceed with testing/the district?

We/my son's 2nd grade teacher think he might have ADD or some other LD due to inattentiveness in class. (I'm also suspecting something such as CAPD, due to his speech progress.)

I contacted our pediatrician who referred us to an independent psychologist/educational evaluator who we've made an appointment with and who is scheduled to observe our son at the end of this month (11/28/07).

After reading more about what we're entitled to under IDEA/504, etc. I am worried that the district could deny whatever this independent dr. recommends.

With that said, should we also request, in writing of course, that the district does its own full evaluation w/in the required 60-day time period just to be safe??

My son was evaluated for speech last year in 1st grade but didn't test poorly enough to get speech classes in school. I believe some his current "benchmarks" are meeting the required level, but in some of the other tests the district conducts he has done poorly in.

We don't want him to fall in the cracks as seemingly a lot of kids do who aren't meeting these "worst case" scenarios. We are also concerned that waiting any longer for tests will just prolong the issue.

I contacted the pych. of the district and she said to schedule a "campus intervention meeting." Would this be our alternate next step in asking for him to be re-evaluated, as listed in the IDEA literature?

I just want to be prepared for everything!

I appreciate your help!

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Oct 31, 2007
Posts: 16

Other Topics
Posted:Nov 07, 2007 5:55:31 PM

I would ask for a re-evaluation now. The more information, the better. If they don't classify him, he can still get a 504 plan for ADD/ADHD.
You only need a doctors determination for that.

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Aug 21, 2003
Posts: 54

Other Topics
Posted:Nov 20, 2007 1:33:05 AM

Getting the testing done is an important first step but you also need to prepare yourself to deal with the problems outside the school system. Our problem is that our son is very intelligent and because of this his test scores were too high for any help from the school district. So, we had our meeting with the school psychologist and special education teacher were given the results and sent on our merry way. We got very little guidance from anyone. We were pretty much on our own in figuring out what to do to help him. The only thing he qualified for was a 504 which means he qualifies for accommodations. At the beginning of every year I have to put on my armor and fight for my son. And just because there is a 504 in place doesn't mean the accommodations just happen. It is work both for you and your child. I've found face to face visits are by far the best way to keep on top of all that needs to be done for school. Unfortunately, this has been the best way for us to get and keep the accommodations.

The 504 just helps get through school it doesn't do anything to improve the things he struggles with. You are on your own to do this. So be prepared to work to find ways to help your son improve his abilities and help him become the most capable person he can be.


Back to top Profile Email