Teaching Students with LD and ADHD

504 for anxiety and ADD

Author Message
Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 5
Other Topics
Posted Dec 05, 2007 at 1:18:52 PM
Subject: 504 for anxiety and ADD

My 14 year old 9th grade daughter has been tested and found to have slow processing, anxiety, depression and ADHD. We were turned down for an IEP, but she needs something since she is doing poorly in school. We mostly want extended time and someone to make sure she writes in her agenda book. We would also like less homework and emails from teachers letting us know what quizzes can be taken over. I assume this would all fall under a 504. Do you think there's a possibility of getting one with documented proof listed above?

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Jul 11, 2005
Posts: 550

Other Topics
Posted:Dec 05, 2007 7:16:23 PM

Yes, she should qualify for a 504.

scifinut mom to: ms 16, bp/adhd/anxiety/complex ld mr. 20, add/dyslexic I hear and I forget I see and I remember I do and I understand. -Anonymous

Back to top Profile Email
Rosco P. Coltrane
Joined Jun 28, 2007
Posts: 47

Other Topics
Posted:Dec 19, 2007 2:44:53 PM

How poorly is she doing in school? If you daughter has a diagnosis of ADHD and is failing her classes, I don't understand why she wouldn't qualify for special education.

Just because a child has a diagnosis, that doesn't mean that he/she automatically qualifies for a Section 504 plan. The diagnosis has to be significantly impacting a major life function, which in this case, would be learning.

[Modified by: Patrick on December 19, 2007 02:45 PM]

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Jun 12, 2003
Posts: 98

Other Topics
Posted:Dec 22, 2007 8:05:21 AM

I can't imagine it would be a problem; I have several students like that on my caseload, with those same accomodations/modifications, some under 504 and some on an IEP if their academics are bad enough, labeled OHI (Other Health Impaired). We've heard recently that they're tightening OHI - you should have a doctor's note/report confirming the diagnoses' and how they specifically affect her performance in school. Do your research on both 504 plans and IEP's for students with ADD; you should be able to get something, especially with both the ADD and depression. Linguisystems has books on both (off the top of my head that's who I thought of; there are other companies as well- google 504 Plans and you should find them)

Back to top Profile Email MSN
Joined Mar 18, 2008
Posts: 3

Other Topics
Posted:Mar 18, 2008 9:34:53 AM

I agree with the postings. I would think she could receive services. As far as the parent-teacher contact, I believe that if she had an IEP case manager you would have better luck. I teach high school and many teachers expect their students to be organized enough and bold enough to communicate their needs without the intervention of the parent. I am not saying that this is the right attitude, this is feedback that I get from our regular ed. teachers. They have high expectations that students should be able to "keep up." Especially if the student is college bond.

Back to top Profile Email