Postsecondary Education

CAPD and College?

Author Message
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Posts: 69136
Other Topics
Posted Aug 24, 2003 at 7:45:29 PM
Subject: CAPD and College?

What about CAPD and college? I was diagnosed with CAPD 3 years ago, at the age of 15 (also dyslexic, elementry school). I'm currently 18 and facing my senior year of high school, and just began the college search just as thousands of others students my age. It's always been a struggle and I've have developed my own routine to make up for the discrepency as much as possible. However, I have had the benefit of small classes of a private schols (max 15 kids, for the past six years) and teachers who are very aware and helpful, all I need to do is ask. I remember my time in public school with 25+ students in a class and practacially failing out. My concern now is how to make the adjustment to college, were I won't always have the luxury of small closes, and execptionally caring teachers and numerous times go out of their way to assist you. Of course my biggest fear is large lecture halls, though at this point trying to advoid all large universities as possible. What else can I do besides prefered seating, notetakers (very visual still need to take my own notes two, because the processing of writing them, helps me retain the information.) and tape recorders is there? I'm too old for Earobics, plus I can't ask all my teachers to were headphones. I'd rather were a hearing aid myself, but don't know if it can be done for a CAPD case. (educational purposes only) Also, special hearing aids are supposed to becoming better at filtering out backround noise. Does any of this makes sense or possible from a medical or more specifically too an audiologist view? Because anything on this board and that I found thus found on other websites in in regards to helping children only. My question essentially what else can be done to aid college age and older, especially in a large setting like a lecture hall?

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Apr 11, 2021
Posts: 69136

Other Topics
Posted:Aug 25, 2003 7:07:39 PM

There are many colleges that have special programs for students with learning disabilities. I would suggest a small school where you could be in a classroom of no more than 30 and be able to sit in the front. They also may have assisted listening devices that wouls help you. Please feel free to contact me at CollegefingerJB@aol.com

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 1845

Other Topics
Posted:Aug 31, 2003 7:57:28 PM

Taping lectures is another idea -- yes, you need permission just as you would for testing accommodations. But then you can get the headphones and hit rewind as you follow through your notes and add or change as you go.

I'm s;ure you already know things just take more time -- getting a reduced load can be a big difference.
Many colleges have *lots* of support services if you are willing to find them and figure out which ones work for you. (Yes, sometimes stuff that seems to be there to help doesn't -- but keep looking.) Often there are resouces and people wondering why the students don't use 'em.
I'm an "academic development" specialist and my main job is to coach and tutor students in developmental classes (pre-101; students have to take a test to get into Eng. 101 or Math 100+ courses) . We've got a computer lab with speech recognition and text-to-speech software (among other things) and a growing cadre of students who really want to succeed.

Sue J, webmastress www.resourceroom.net

Back to top Profile Email