Events and Announcements

a curious question

Author Message
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Posts: 69136
Other Topics
Posted Sep 20, 2003 at 12:01:40 AM
Subject: a curious question

I have just a curious question. I have a son that has many disabilities and I am quite familiar with dealing with this. My question is does a student have to be in special education to have an IEP done for him or her?

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Jun 13, 2003
Posts: 330

Other Topics
Posted:Sep 20, 2003 10:47:42 AM

Great question! I know I was told we needed an IEP before we could move to spec ed but I'm not sure about the other way around. The way it was presented to me would imply one could have an IEP w/o sped ed.

My LD child had an IEP for speech for two years before being labed LD. Are speech services "sped ed?"

What is the difference between and IEP and no spec services and a 504?

Anyway, this forum gets very little traffic. Have you considered posted this in one of the teachers forums?

Back to top Profile Email
Joined Sep 08, 2003
Posts: 3

Other Topics
Posted:Sep 26, 2003 7:15:29 PM

No you do not need to be in special education to have an iep done but this was the case with me but to get the school to actually hold the meeting required a teacher who had been at the school for a while, really standing up for me on my behalf

The IEP (Individualized Education Program) is the actual meeting to come up with the plan for you child info on your right to an IEP

Section 504 prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities

Back to top Profile Email