To make sure that the kids area of LD OnLine stays safe and fun, we make the following promises:
- In almost all activities, the information we collect is non-personal (such as first name, age, city, and state). If you enter a contest, send us a question, or send an electronic postcard, we will also ask for an e-mail address. We only collect enough information from our visitors to make the kids activities on LD OnLine fun and interesting.
- If you submit stories, artwork, comments or anything else to us which is posted on our site, you will be identified on our site only by first name, age, city, and state.
- If you send us an e-mail with a question or comment, or enter one of our contests, we will write back using your e-mail address, but we will not keep the address or use it again.
- No one will be excluded from our site for not giving us personal information. When we do ask for personal information (like an e-mail address), we will only keep it until that particular activity is complete. We will not share this information with a third party.
As you surf around the kids area of LD OnLine, it is possible that several cookies* will be set on your computer. LD OnLine uses the information from cookies to remember browser preferences and improve our visitors' experiences on the site. No personal information is ever stored in a LD OnLine cookie, even if you have entered your name or e-mail address on other parts of LD OnLine.
LD OnLine does not sell information collected by cookies or use the information for commerce-related purposes. In addition, LD OnLine will not filter content based on your preferences without permission.
- If you watch a video clip or listen to an audio clip on LDOnLine.org, a cookie will remember which media player (such as Real Player or QuickTime) and which type of clip (high or low bandwidth) you prefer to use on your computer. You can change your video and audio preferences at any time, or choose a player each time you view or listen to a clip.
- As you explore LDOnLine.org, a session cookie will tell us which pages you visit and the amount of time between each page visit. This cookie does not remember any information about you or your computer, it just tells us at LD OnLine how long visitors spend on our sites and which pages receive the most traffic. A "session cookie" only remembers information about your current visit to the site.
Additionally, when a page within LD OnLine's kids area is partially funded by outside sponsors, we will mark any underwriter logos with a "sponsored by" tag. We choose our underwriters carefully, to make sure that the company's products and services fit our standards. The kids area of LD OnLine will not contain advertisements promoting e-commerce or direct links to e-commerce.
Your family's use of this site is conditioned on your having accepted these terms. You should check back to this policy frequently, since it is subject to change from time to time, and your continued use of the site is conditioned upon your acceptance of any modifications hereto.
We want to make this site a place where families can surf together, and where parents and caregivers are happy to have their children interact, learn and play. If you have any comments or questions, we're happy to hear them.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us at WETA Public Television, 2775 S. Quincy St., Arlington, VA 22206. (703) 998-2001.
*What's a cookie? A cookie is information a Web site puts on your computer's hard drive so that the site can remember your preferences or which pages you visited on that site.
Last modified: May 1, 2006