Skip to main content

Were you born in 1978 or 1979?

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

The reason I ask, is because there was a formula being fed to infants, called Neo-Mull-Soy, between mid 1978 and mid 1979. It was supposedly the “Best on the Market!” and then it was recalled, however, the recall process was not how it is now and many doctors did not know about it and babies were continuing to be fed this nutrient-deficient formula.

(In a nutshell - it was because of this incident that we have the strict formula rules we have today.)

Anyway, the formula was deficient in chloride. The symptoms of chloride deficiency are severe vomiting as an infant and nonstop crying. And learning disabilities that came on as more critical thinking became necessary in school… but all studies of affects of this formula were on younger children so they “found” that no significant harm was done.

Later what they did find was memory, word recall, auditory processing problems was affected. Some infants even died from the lack of sodium chloride.

I was affected by this formula - I was fed it for SIX MONTHS and so literally I had no salt and no chloride in my system for the first six months of my life. I struggle a lot in life and in school and at work. So I’m wondering how many other adults out there have been fed this formula, and what is your story?

I haven’t been able to find out much on the internet, except basic information when I google “Neo-Mull-Soy incident” - not much on the adults that are still dealing with the aftermath.

I would love to hear your story if your parents fed you Neo-Mull-Soy.

Angie

Submitted by DragonDreams on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 12:42 AM

I was born in mid-1979, and fed formula. My mom doesn’t recall what kind. I have been diagnosed with a NVLD though.