Skip to main content

504 for student with good grades?

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My daughter is a 5th grade student with ADHD. Her grades throughout elementary school have always been A’s and B’s and she performs in the top percentile on all standardized tests. Here is my problem: She has been receiving “unofficial” accomodations by her elementary school teachers such as extra time on tests, extra-time to complete projects at home or during recess and extra time to organize herself. At my conference with her 5th grade teacher, we discussed her ADHD and the need for her to have additional time. Her teacher said he was worried about her ability to be successful in middle school without any accomodations. I contacted our school’s Instructional Support Team and was told that my daughter does not qualify for a 504 because of her good grades and high performance on standardized tests. Must I wait for her to fail just when she is trying to adjust to middle school before I can help her? I’d obviously like to be proactive and protect my hard-working daughter’s self-esteem before it plummets. Is there anything I can do?

Submitted by Goodysbaby on Thu, 02/15/2007 - 7:38 PM

Wrong answer! If your daughter has documention for ADHD she is qualified for 504 plan to accommodate her ADHD. A 504 plan is not based on academics,but on physical limitations for academics. Example diabetic who needs to eat outside the realm of regular classes.

You need to send a letter requesting a child study meeting. Meet them with documentation from her physician and why this is important to her academic career. My son is in high school with ADHD and he receives extra time on tests. I work in a disabilities office at a small college our students receive extra time on tests if they have appropriate documentation.

Do not allow these administrators that have no interest in your childs education tell you the wrong answer.

Go get them!

Submitted by cfsmommy on Sun, 02/25/2007 - 9:45 PM

I have the same difficulty. My daughter is performing well, despite her dyslexia and processing issues. She is currently taking honors level courses (A’s and B’s), but the school is stating she does not qualify for any modification allowing extra time on her exams. We are real concerned that she will not perform well on the standardized tests (ACT, SAT)due to the time constraints. We have been told, that even though the school psycologost confirmed her with signs of dyslexia through testing performed at the school, we need additional medical documentation to qualify for a 504. Is this true?
Thanks,

Submitted by Goodysbaby on Mon, 02/26/2007 - 6:29 PM

You will need a psychologist report stating that your daughter has dyslexia. I went ahead and had my son tested in order to clear up any misunderstandings with the district. It will also help once they attend college testing has to be recent with in two/three years for them to receive accommodations at post secondary institution. I would do the testing, in our district the questionnaire is not sufficient only an indicator that something could be going on.

Good luck!

Submitted by Goodysbaby on Mon, 02/26/2007 - 6:29 PM

You will need a psychologist report stating that your daughter has dyslexia. I went ahead and had my son tested in order to clear up any misunderstandings with the district. It will also help once they attend college testing has to be recent with in two/three years for them to receive accommodations at post secondary institution. I would do the testing, in our district the questionnaire is not sufficient only an indicator that something could be going on.

Good luck!

Submitted by fourthechildren on Sun, 04/08/2007 - 12:11 AM

Just because you have a diagniosed disablity does not insure accommodations. I say this from personal experience . I’m not saying your child does not qualify or you should not fight for accommodations. The hirer you go in education it seems the less rights you have so be prepared. Good Luck

Submitted by Goodysbaby on Mon, 04/09/2007 - 3:57 PM

It really depends upon the college/university that you attend. I have found better luck with small private colleges. There are colleges out there that will give support, but students must be able to accepted based on their own merit. You really need to look and know specifically what accommodations your child needs. Ask Questions!