Skip to main content

IEP,504 rights

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My son (15 years old) and I was told he couldn’t come back to school becuase a student from another school has “Mumps”. My son does not have all of his vaccinations becuase of medical problems (aspergers)he got from an earlier vaccination. He does have a 504 IEP and the school are unwilling to help in any way but send his homework home every friday. we need to find out what our rights are for this type of issue becuase we feel the school is pretty much telling us we are on our own !!! They say he could be out of school for four weeks or so. Any help out there ??

Submitted by DRHD on Wed, 11/16/2011 - 7:52 PM

Ritvan,

It is appropriate to exclude your child under state law when such a contagious disease as mumps is within a school setting. However, it does not preclude the school division to ensure your chilld continues to receive a “educational benefit” from his education.

DRHD

Submitted by Monica K on Mon, 02/06/2012 - 9:34 PM

Hello,

I realize you posted this a while ago, but in my state it is a law that if a student is out of school for 10 or more consecutive school days the school is required to provide homebound instructional tutoring for a predetermined amount of time per week depending on the grade your child is in. If they are not allowing your child to go to school and you have medical documentation to support your reasons, the district should be providing homebound services. I hope this was helpful!