Skip to main content

504 ?

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

I have requested a 504 for my Inattentative ADD 5th grade daughter. I am very concerned about middle school next year. She has been doing OK this year with meds and accomodations from her teacher. I just want something in writing before 6th grade. Our meeting is next week. Today I was told by friend/neighbor who happens to be on the 504 committee that from what she knows and has been told they will not give her a 504 unless she is failing. Is this true? The only reason she is successful is through teacher accomodations and meds. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Submitted by JenM on Fri, 02/13/2004 - 9:19 PM

As far as I know this is not true. My daughter does not have a 504 yet but the school has told me we will definitely have one in place for next year. This year her teacher is doing all of the accommodations and there are no standardized tests in 1st grade. Next year they start testing so we will be sure to have one in place to allow more time in testing and frequent breaks. It will also allow us to put in all of the classroom accommodations that are allowing her to do so well this year. She is not failing but has actually gotten up to grade level with all of the help.

Submitted by Roxie on Fri, 02/13/2004 - 11:44 PM

My daughter recieved a 504 and was not failing. She wasn’t doing great, but she wasn’t failing. What you need to know is your rights. Section 504 of the Rehabilation Act does not say that a child must be failing to recieve classroom accomodations. The disability, and ADHD does qualifiy here, must interfer with their education to recieve accomodations. I would suggest that you do a search for information on Section 504, classroom accomodations, and 504 plans, as well as IDEA. www.wrightslaw.com is a good place to start.