Skip to main content

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

Hi
My daughter was tested three years ago and was given an IEP. They are doing her reevaluation now and Im worried they will test her out. She is in 5th grade and im worried she will have a hard time in jr. high next year. Can you tell me if its ok to ask for a few days to sign papers at the IEP meeting? I usually come home and think of a million questions and some regrets about what was set up for her. Also can you tell me what a 504 means or is? thanks for your help!

DJ

Submitted by KTJ on Sat, 09/24/2005 - 6:21 PM

In MA, we have 30 days to sign the IEP. In Illinois, are you expected to sign the IEP immediately? That seems surprising as it takes time to look it over unless your input was seriously considered and integral to IEP development. Share your concerns at the IEP meeting and ask the team for the re-eval results prior to the team meeting so that you have time to see what the results are as well as the team’s recommendations.

Submitted by Dad on Sun, 09/25/2005 - 9:09 PM

Section 504 is for those stuidents who need additional help (generally for medical condittions) who do not qualify for Sped services under IDEA. Generally, 504 is accomodations and modifications to standard curriculum to compensate the student who has some issue that impeeds their ability to learn with the herd. One example might be a child who is very hard of hearing - the accomodation might include sitting very close to the teacher, having class notes typed because they cannot take the notes themselves. etc.

Section 504 actually predates IDEA, although the willingness of any particular district/school/teacher to put it into action varies somewhat widely.

Submitted by DJ on Mon, 09/26/2005 - 2:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I dont know the laws for illinois ,but the first time dd was tested and we had our meeting they made her IEP right there and had us sign it. Everything was moving so fast what did we know.The same thing happened at the end of the yaer meetings for the next year. I will ask them about it because it is a lot to take in .
thanks again
DJ