Skip to main content

504 designation

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My 9 year old son has been diagnosed with ADHD, LD(non-verbal) and auditory integration dysfunction. His previous teacher has told me that although he is LD, ADHD puts him in the OHI category and because he has a high IQ, an IEP may not be the best way to go. He suggested that I consider a 504 designation. I’ve searched this site and cannot find anything on it. Has anyone had any experience with it?

thanks,
lisa

Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 08/03/2001 - 6:44 PM

My 9 year old son has a very similiar combination of difficulties (ADHD,high IQ, VPD that is now being questioned as NLD). We have a 504 plan because he did not qualify for an IEP because the problems have not effected his schoolwork enough yet . Pretty much other people like them,I consider it useless-he is allowed modifications that I won’t allow. The best thing is that it opens the door and that is how I have gotten further testing done by the district. If yu have a child whose schoolwork has been shown to be effected, by all means push for an IEP.

Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 08/04/2001 - 2:09 AM

Okay, I have a really good link about this on my website. Scroll down a bit when you on the home page,it’s called the difference between IDEA and 504. It’s one of my favorite explanations.
http:/specialedmom.homestead.com/index.html

Hope this helps. Bottom line,either one, if not followed, doesn’t work.