Skip to main content

504 plan

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

I have just come from my son’s elgi. meeting and it has been decided to make a 504 plan for him on next Tuesday. I have a lot of thinking about what are the best things to request to have included on the plan by then as it was a long hard fight even to get the 504 and I am sure they are going to be looking at me for “now you have it what do you want to do with it ” answers. My son is taking meds for ADHD and currently doing very very welll in school. ( report card has all A’s and no behavior issues) but… the meds give hima headache everday and this child doesn’t eat ANYTHING. Dr says that the way of the drug. When I took him off the meds in Jan. he started to fall right away and by the end of the month was at F’s! I want him off the meds but I don’t want him to fail at school either. We have also requested an IEE as I disagree on alot of the testing and the fact that an IQ test was not done. I believe that is where they will find that my sons potential is very high and when not on meds he is working very much below that potential. So that is now in the works. Now for my questions: They want to put off writing the 504 until they get the results of the IEE. Can they do that? Seems none of them knew the answers to that and they need to get back to me. I think the 504 is for the ADHD issues and the testing is for high potential/ld issues. Can you have both an IEP and a 504 at the same time or does one over ride the other? Any idea to help with what to request on the 504? He has a very hard time with writing assignments. Not the physical writing and not the story I think it’s just too much to think about all at the same time. He has slow processing speed and word retrival problems. He is at risk for atypical behaviors. (ie inmature of age by the way he is in the 3rd grade and he is 10 as we held him in Kinder an extra year). He doesn’t always get social clues. He is sweet, trusting, fun and easygoing kid who still loves school and I’d like to keep it that way! Thanks Shari
Ps. socks you are great and I love to read what you have to say! Sorry this is so long!

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 06/13/2002 - 8:48 PM

Shari,
I would read up on IDEA 97. Its the law pertaining to you and your childs rights when they are in school with a disability. ADHD is one of those disabilities included in it. I would also contact the school board and ask for the special education dept, then talk to them about getting an advocate for children with disabilities. Great resource!! I had one to guide me and the first year I had my daughter with a half day of school, afternoon tutor to help catch up on learning missed, time with her councelor, and she could go do her work if she decided she couldnt sit and listen with the school social worker. I had no idea they had to provide these things for FAPE (free appropriate public education). I no longer need my advocate, sometimes I have questions but not often anymore. Now I am teaching my child to deal with these things and to get involved. That way she feels very empowered in this whole process as opposed to defeated by this and she knows what is going on with her own education now that she is getting older. As far as the meds, that is a battle with us too. We have tried everything, we are now using (well before her summer meds break) Concerta (a time release form of ritalin, taken once a day) that has had the best results. you may want to speak with the pediatrician about this, pros, cons, etc. The doc will know whats best for your son…..good luck, Ive been where you are at and its hard at times but just know it will get easier…..