Skip to main content

504 plan?

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

I have a question that hopefully someone will be able to help me with. I am presently tutoring my twelve year old nephew, who has been diagnosed with ADHD. I also believe he has dyslexia. His father is dylexic, and my nephew exhibits nearly every symptom. However, the school tested him for learning disabilities, and they say there is not enough difference between his learning ability and his performance level for him to qualify for special education. They scoff at the idea that he is dyslexic, and I have had two of his teachers say that “maybe if he put forth a little effort, he wouldn’t have to use a disability as an excuse.”

This is a daily problem for him. He was failing every class before I began tutoring him. We spend at least 2-3 hours on homework every night .He is now barely passing his classes, mainly due to problems that occur at school where he has no one to help him. He gets frustrated and comes home in tears. If he loses a paper or forgets it in his locker, the teachers say they don’t have time to wait for him to find it and they give him a zero. If he’s late to class because he can’t open his locker, they count him tardy and send home a conduct report. He’s had so many tardies that they put him in in-school suspension (without the knowledge of his parents). He panics on tests, even though he knows the information. When we try to get the tests given orally, the teachers balk at the idea and we have to nag at them constantly. They act as though this isn’t worth their time, but I am afraid he is going to fall through the cracks. He is a smart kid, but how do I get them to make accomodations for him so he can show that he does know the information? Middle school is hard enough without all this pressure. I’m concerned that it will only get worse from this point. It was suggested that he be evaluated for a 504 plan, but how do we go about getting that done?

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/17/2003 - 10:02 PM

Everything you asked and everything that will ever come up regarding education and the law, you will find at this website. It’s on my desk top and will likely stay there until graduation! LOL! I have found that the schools count on the parents ignorance about the law. Read up, march in there and make ‘em sorry they ever messed with your nephew!

www.wrightslaw.com

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/17/2003 - 10:06 PM

As long as he has ADHD, he qualifies for a 504. If he already had an ID meeting, which is sounds like he did if he was tested. There must be a more than 1.5 grade level difference between his age and his performance in order to qualify for special ed services which he didn’t. All you have to do is request a 504 meeting at this point. They should have suggested a 504 when he was found ineligible for services. request it by mail, email and fax. The clock then starts ticking and they have to respond. Request more time for tests, a second set of all books at home, someone to help him with his locker, preferential seating, and anything else you can come up with.

Also, has he been tested for visual processing deficits? I thought my son was dyslexic, the school blamed it on his ADHD and then he was privately tested and we found that he had a visual processing deficit along with eye teaming and tracking issues. After almost a year of vision therapy, his problems are almost gone-he still has issues when he is tired. Main thing being that his Terra Nova percentiale in Reading Comprehension went from a 58 in 2nd grade to a 66 in 3rd grade (after 6 weeks of therapy) to an 88 in 4th grade. The school did the same testing after the private testing and found him ineligible for services because though they admitted he had issues, he didn’t fall into that “magic” 1.5!!! He is lucky that you aren;t waiting until he falls that far behind to do something about it.

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 02/18/2003 - 10:38 PM

Thank you so much for your advice. I went to a meeting with the teachers yesterday, and it was pretty much a disaster. They scoffed when I even mentioned the 504 plan, and said it was much too restrictive and they doubted it was even necessary. The idea of having all books at home is a great one, and I will suggest that they do that. I will look into your other suggestions also. It’s nice to hear from ones who know what we’re going through.

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 02/18/2003 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely look at that website. The teachers and principal are being very uncooperative at this point. I think they need a reeducation session! :-)

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/24/2003 - 4:00 PM

Here is a copy of a general letter that I sent to my school principal to call a meeting for an evalution under IDEA.

Dear Principal:

I am the parent of (Name of Student), whose date of birth is _________and who is a student in the ____ grade at ______School. _____ has previously been diagnosed with ADHD (attention deficit disorder) and ________. Since ______entered the first grade, teachers have been raising concerns about his behavior and academic performance. My child is not doing well in school and may need special education services or “504” accomodations. I am therefore requesting a multi-disciplinary team evaluation to determine if _____ is eligible for special education and/or related services under both the IDEA (including the IDEA “Other Health Impaired” category) and Section 504, in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Policy Memorandum dated September 15, 1991, plus the public education regulations of this state. I hereby consent for this evaluation to be done.

I look forward to hearing from you and to working with you and your staff to ensure a successful educational experience for ______.

Sincerely,

Your Signature

The school has 30 days to respond to your letter. Remember to advocate for your child at the meeting but if you feel intimidated you can hire a psychologist or child advocate to come with you who has special expertise in ADD, LD, etc.

Good Luck, TBG

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 02/25/2003 - 3:11 PM

Thank you very much. I will certainly try this out.