Skip to main content

504 Plan update schedule

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My son will be entering high school next year. He has had a 504 plan for auditory issues since 2nd grade. We’ve updated it every spring. This year, for the first time, the middle school is saying that the meeting is not their problem, that the update should occur at the high school, and the high school is saying that there is no need to update, that the 504 plan stays in effect even without an annual review.

I’ve been fighting other battles with the middle school and have let this one slide….can it wait until fall, or will I lose rights/ground if we do not have an annual review this school year?

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 05/18/2003 - 12:06 PM

this is an interesting question. There is no transition rules that I am aware of in section 504,like there is for an IEP. BUT the law was written to “level the playing field” to provide accomodation that are reasonable to provide the student the opportunity to be successful in the classroom. SOOO,I would certainly think that in order to do this the middle school and high school teacher would need to meet together and provide to each other input and develop a 504 plan that will help your son be successful.

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 05/18/2003 - 1:48 PM

Karyn

What an interesting question. I would contact your Intermediate School District Special Education Supervisor. Ask them to supply you with the documentation to this question. I like you, would have assumed there would be a level change, as well as, an up-dated plan done yearly similar to an IEP. I believe in starting at the top and working your way down.

Hope this helps…

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 05/19/2003 - 2:55 AM

In a tricky situation like this I would hedge my bets. Write a nice simple letter to the school requesting a meeting. Send it by registered mail, return receipt. Keep a copy of the letter and the receipt. If anyone tries to cut you off services, you have proof that *you* have tried to do everything reasonable to keep the plan going.