Skip to main content

No IEP or 504, please advise

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My son, 9, was diagnosed ADHD at age 5 when his kindergarten teach suggested we have him tested. The school he attended at the time was very supportive and they seemed to make reasonable accomodations for him to help him to succeed without an IEP or 504. Well, we have changed schools this year (3rd grade). We had our first meeting with the principal within the first month of the school year. She explained that our son had more disciplinary slips (5) than any child in the school but offered no solutions other than reinforcing appropriate behavior at home. At the same time, we were receiving emails from the teacher with daily updates on our sons behavior and efforts in each subject. We attended the parent/teacher conference a month later and were told that, while bright, our son was not keeping up with the class. There was no mention of an IEP or 504 plan. We just received his report card for the first half of the year and while doing well in most subjects, he is failing in almost all reading and writing catagories. My question is: What is the school required to provide when I child is falling behind?

Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 02/08/2003 - 2:24 PM

Although I was lucky enough to have teachers who helped initiate the evaluation process for my child, many others haven’t been so lucky. You will need to initiate the process by making a written request for a full psychoeducational evaluation from the school. There is a timeline they must follow once they receive the written request. My son’s school had a form to fill out for the formal request. You can contact your state or district sp.ed dept for more info. It is your right to have this done.

If you feel there may be other learning problems along with the adhd, then you really should pursue testing. You could also have him evaluated privately.

Hope this helps some, I am pretty sure others with more expertise than I have will post also.

Best wishes.
Amy

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 02/09/2003 - 1:41 AM

Hi! I have A nine year old boy who was dignosed at 5 years as well. I Had him in montessri school since age 3.
I took my son out of private school and put him in a public school system.We got hooked up with an IEP and figured out his specific LD within the ADHD diagnoses.He has a comprehensive writeing LD.My son now has a special Ed teacher who he loves and a occupational therapist to help him with his fine motor skills.My son went from a barely passing student to a Merrit Roll student! You have rights! If your child is Diagnosed Your public school system has a resposability to get him evaluated and structured!
If your state has a 504 then your son is ellegable for it.If in fact he is being medicly treated for ADD_ADHD.
My son still has horrable handwriteing and cant spell worth a darn.(I am looking into another LD which affects sound and symbol association.)But he is
doing so so much better and is more confident to boot.
we have allot in common . Stay in touch! GOOD LUCK!