Skip to main content

iq in the range of 85 to 100, and college?

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

I know some instituitions won’t admit someone who falls under a certain iq level. For example the univiersity of Jacksonville Alabama won’t provide services to ld students who’s lq is under 85. But can a person with an iq of 85 to 100 show any success at the post secoundary level? I seriously have my doubts.

what do you think?

Submitted by victoria on Sun, 01/23/2005 - 4:38 PM

Two questions:
(a) How accurately does that IQ represent the student’s overall functioning?
(b) What kind of college program?

(a) If the student is overall low average, then maybe college would not be a positive experience; perhaps some other kind of job training would work out better. But if the student is low in verbal abilities but bright in other areas, it is possible they could find a program that developed their strengths.

(b) A low IQ generally means lack of academic-type skills, so this student would be unlikely to get any pleasure or success from academic studies like math or English literature etc. On the other hand, there are programs in art, music, landscaping, photography, medical/dental assistant, and all sorts of other professions that are less dependent on book learning where the student’s other abilities may be a good fit.

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 01/23/2005 - 6:53 PM

I looked this up…

74 to 89
20% 25% below 89 8th-Grade to 12th-Grade

89 to 100
25% 50% below 100 8th-Grade to 1-2 years of College.

So, I wonder about the whole concept of i.q.

According to this, 74-89 i.q. is basically having an i.q. like a youngster.

A 89-100 i.q. is basically having an i.q. of a junior college student.

Therefore, I think that someone with an i.q. in the 89 to 100 range should get some good testing done in order to see what type of trade or what have you they can get into.

What I wonder about i.q. is that it is not the end all to be all measurement of your smarts. For some folks who are l.d., you can have a low overall i.q. score but have a near genius score in some of the areas of the test.

Ultimately, I would not take i.q. to heart and I hate hearing of folks who do.

What is up with this school? Are they going by overall i.q. or what? Golly.

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 01/24/2005 - 2:53 PM

Many folks with IQs below 100 are successful in college-level classes and sometimes having them try it is the only way tell who will be successful. I look first at an individual’s high school transcript to see their level of success and areas of strength. Next I look at their study skills and motivation - you can get through many college classes reading slowly, but it takes a lot of extra hours of work at home. In many cases I encourage them to start by taking one or two community college classes in order to get a feel for the campus and have an early success or two. It also takes some time to put support services in place and make sure they’re working satisfactorily. Some people get in over their heads, but Virginia’s community colleges do placement testing to determine where to start students in English and math.

Many years ago I took some classes from a full professor of psychology who claimed he’d once scored a 90 on an IQ test. He was the most animated, hard-working man I’ve ever met.

John

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 01/25/2005 - 1:37 AM

IQ tests can have a range of 15 points which puts your low 85 at an average 100 and your 100 at a bright 115. I’d look at performance and other things previous posters have suggested.

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 02/10/2005 - 4:55 AM

Not all colleges look at LD students’ WISC or other intelligence scores in the admissions process. Many schools look primarily upon grades, reccommendations, SATs (varies), and use tests scores and achievement tests for determining accomendations after admission is granted.

Submitted by kris629 on Thu, 05/26/2005 - 10:41 PM

Hi Tim, my daughter falls in this range and she just received her Associates Degree. At the commencement the key note seaker said, “There are no learning disabilities only learning differences”. She is going forward for her B. A. If you fall in this range my advice would be to go for it!