Skip to main content

"504"

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

does behavioral necessarily mean special and why would parents insist on “504” designation for their child?

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 02/24/2003 - 11:59 PM

This “504” issue is really interesting. I think it’s original intent through ADA is somewhat unclear and many will argue its merit. When my son broke his arm I asked the school if they wanted to write a 504 or if accomodations for his inability to write could be accomodated - they said no problem, we’ll make accomodations. It’ll be interesting to see these posts.

Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 02/26/2003 - 3:01 PM

I will designate my son 504 next year. He is currently sped but in a regular class. I think that in my district the extra help offered under reg ed is better for a mostly remediated LD child like my son. They don’t change the curriculum and they do target the help to specific area of need ie, writing class for writing problem. It is not general resource room where the children have many mixed issues.

In my district inclusion is a two teacher class with the sped teacher getting the sped kids. It is actually an all day resource room without walls.

504 ensures his rights to access to these programs. As a person with a disability he can not be exclued because of his disability. Also, he may need some writing accomodations ie alphasmart and I want those available.