Skip to main content

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

I need help with a matter that has come up with a student. Mother had him tested on her own, psych, achievement, and adhd scale. The student came out with an adhd (inattentive) and a slight deficit in mathematical operations. If the student does not qualify for sped services, how can we get him placed on a 504 plan so accomodations can be set in writing and will follow him to the next grade? The problem is that his grade is a B in math, but that is with much help at home evenings and during recesses to complete work. Can a parent insist a 504 plan be written?
Thanks a million for any feedback and guidance.

Submitted by Dad on Fri, 01/06/2006 - 11:57 AM

Section 504 is not bound by the same set of procedural hurdles that IDEA has (what comes immediately to mind is the much abused 2-year discrepancy formula). 504’s can be written for ANY child with a bonafide medical condition or physical problem that can impede their education. Because 504’s generally do not require expensive compensatory services but most often involve simple modifications of existing services or accomodations to better receive those services they are not nearly so burdensome as full IEP’s to the typical operation of the classroom.

ADHD is probably the largest sub-group of 504 qualifying conditions under OHI.

Submitted by Esmom on Fri, 01/06/2006 - 7:15 PM

You can inform the school of the independent evaluation and request that the IEP (that’s what it’s called generally; I’ve also heard the term multi-disciplinary team) team convene to determine if the child has a disability and if it qualifies for a 504 plan. I’d make the request in writing; the wrightslaw website may have a sample request letter). If there is evidence of an existence of a disability (the evaluation would be , the school is required to take some sort of action. If the evaluator recommended modifications, I’d lobby for those with the IEP team. In fact, check the wrightslaw website (google wrightslaw) to research info on the 504 plan. It’s a good site.

Submitted by Sue on Tue, 01/10/2006 - 4:51 PM

Wrightslaw and/or this site may also have the wording to say that the good grades reflect a great deal of assistance (essentially accommodations) and support that are necessary becuase of his medical condition.

Submitted by Goodymom on Mon, 02/06/2006 - 6:59 PM

My freshmen son just marginally qualified for his three year reevalation this past week. So this is a fresh spot with me.

I had him tested for adhd (at my own expense) to find out if he had adhd, which I was correct.

I then started wondering knowing that he could qualify for either a 504 or under otherwise health impaired which would be the best way to go before I set down at his IEP. Thinking I would be told that he no longer qualified for services under learning disabled.

I started calling local colleges and talking with their support services department. Most colleges do not accept a 504 plan, only an IEP.

If your child is getting older look into this before making the decisions what could be best and plan for their future.

Have a good one!
Shel

Submitted by Sue on Wed, 02/08/2006 - 4:59 PM

Know that the school does *not* have to have more services just because it’s on an IEP. You can have an individualized education plan that describes the individual things you are doing to make the education work; p’raps add that the special ed caseworker will be monitoring and providing consultation support.

I’m not sure whether or not you couldn’t use the 504 to get services at some schools or if you had a good lawyer (since it is a disabilities access issue) - but getting an IEP covers the problem.