Skip to main content

504 for anxiety and ADD

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

My 14 year old 9th grade daughter has been tested and found to have slow processing, anxiety, depression and ADHD. We were turned down for an IEP, but she needs something since she is doing poorly in school. We mostly want extended time and someone to make sure she writes in her agenda book. We would also like less homework and emails from teachers letting us know what quizzes can be taken over. I assume this would all fall under a 504. Do you think there’s a possibility of getting one with documented proof listed above?

Submitted by Rosco P. Coltrane on Wed, 12/19/2007 - 7:44 PM

How poorly is she doing in school? If you daughter has a diagnosis of ADHD and is failing her classes, I don’t understand why she wouldn’t qualify for special education.

Just because a child has a diagnosis, that doesn’t mean that he/she automatically qualifies for a Section 504 plan. The diagnosis has to be significantly impacting a major life function, which in this case, would be learning.

[Modified by: Patrick on December 19, 2007 02:45 PM]

Submitted by Jenn on Sat, 12/22/2007 - 1:05 PM

I can’t imagine it would be a problem; I have several students like that on my caseload, with those same accomodations/modifications, some under 504 and some on an IEP if their academics are bad enough, labeled OHI (Other Health Impaired). We’ve heard recently that they’re tightening OHI - you should have a doctor’s note/report confirming the diagnoses’ and how they specifically affect her performance in school. Do your research on both 504 plans and IEP’s for students with ADD; you should be able to get something, especially with both the ADD and depression. Linguisystems has books on both (off the top of my head that’s who I thought of; there are other companies as well- google 504 Plans and you should find them)

Submitted by KristenBell on Tue, 03/18/2008 - 2:34 PM

I agree with the postings. I would think she could receive services. As far as the parent-teacher contact, I believe that if she had an IEP case manager you would have better luck. I teach high school and many teachers expect their students to be organized enough and bold enough to communicate their needs without the intervention of the parent. I am not saying that this is the right attitude, this is feedback that I get from our regular ed. teachers. They have high expectations that students should be able to “keep up.” Especially if the student is college bond.