Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

Can a school change the services agreed upon in the IEP meeting without consulting the parents?

Hi Mr. Cohen,

We have a 9-year-old daughter with many issues — she has ADHD, Tourette’s, OCD, a specific learning disability in listening, extreme anxiety, and a new diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

Despite all this, she is extremely bright, and it has taken several years for the public school system to acknowledge her issues. She has an IEP under the categories of other health impairment and specific LD.

Last month school became too stressful for her, and the psychiatrist decided (with us, her parents) to remove her from school and let her have homebound schooling provided by the district. A new IEP meeting was convened, with all present agreeing to provide her with 15 hours per week of homebound services. That amount was ordered by her doctor.

Present at the meeting were the parents, both the special ed and regular ed teachers, and the special ed coordinator, all of whom agreed to the 15 hours. We have this meeting on tape.

This past week, the parent coordinator called to tell us the services would only be provided for three hours. The school did not provide written notice of this, just a phone call. Also, they did not amend the previous IEP with the new placement, even after we requested an updated IEP. We have protested by phone and via email saying that we do not agree with the reduction in hours, and still want the 15 promised.

My question is, can they legally be required to provide 15 hours? How can we get them to honor their commitment made at the IEP meeting? This is not FAPE. Please help us!

Dear Leigh:

States have differing requirements for the minimum level of services required for homebound instruction as a matter of law. You should check your state’s special education rules to determine this.

However, if the school wrote an IEP providing for 15 hours a week of service and an administrator changed this after the fact, this is a unilateral change of service without an IEP meeting or your participation. You should immediately consult a knowledgeable special education advocate or attorney and may need to file a due process hearing immediately in order to block the change in service levels.

As you did not receive prior written notice, you may also be able to force a return to the promised levels on the basis of “stay put” placement, even if some time has passed since this unilateral change was implemented. Again, you need legal consultation to follow up on this.

Back to Top