Skip to main content

My son has Asperger’s and learning disabilities. He is 17 years old and will graduate from high school in the Spring of 2010. My son has had an IEP for years. There are numerous accommodations listed on his IEP.

My question is, once he moves on to a two- or four-year college, will his IEP still be of any use to him? Will he get any help?

Dear Mary:

Once a student graduates from high school with a regular education diploma, the IEP is no longer controlling. The IDEA/special education law has no legal force with respect to colleges or universities.

However, these institutions are required to provide reasonable accommodations pursuant to Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The IEP will provide useful information to document the need for accommodations, but your son will need to contact the school’s disability services office to present documentation of the disability and of the need for accommodations.

Under some circumstances, even if the student has met the technical requirements for graduation, if he or she still has significant unmet needs — such as in the areas of life skills, organizational skills, or social skills — he or she may be eligible for services beyond the twelfth grade year. But this would mean delaying graduation. In some instances, the transition plan could involve participation in community college courses with continuing support from the public school in various ways.

Back to Top