Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

The school district wants me to use a curriculum that has not been effective for my students with special needs. What can I do?

I have been teaching for 39 years. I am currently teaching special education in South Carolina (it’s my third year in the district).

For the past two years I have been teaching in a self-contained cross-categorical classroom (Tier III). I have used my background experience, knowledge, and personal funding to implement programming that has had very compelling test results.

I have not been using the programs required by the district that have already failed the students. This has resulted in a power struggle with district office and this school year I will be required to teach the district required programs. I have made every effort to work with district office and building administration to prevent certain failure for my students. As the district can require me to teach what they may, I want to know what data or avenue would best support myself and parents to provide the programming that will best meet the needs of the students.

How should this best be addressed with the least impact on the students? Would you please be specific to NCLB and IDEA? Thank you.


Dear Richard:

Your question addresses how to address the school administration’s requirement that you teach students with disabilities using a curriculum or methodologies that have not been effective for them.

Under both No Child Left Behind, which applies to all students, and the IDEA, which applies specifically to students in special education, the schools are required to provide peer-reviewed, scientifically-validated instructional programs to the extent practicable. Equally important, under the IDEA, schools are required to provide specialized instruction, including adapting as necessary, the method, content, and mode of delivery of instruction to assure that the student’s program is reasonably calculated to provide the student with a free appropriate education.

Assuming you have data on the ineffectiveness of the school’s program (and the effectiveness of your methods), you could potentially file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights for a violation of Section 504 (which also requires the provision of FAPE), you could file a complaint with the state education agency, or you could share information with the parents of your students to inform them about this information and their right to request a special education due process hearing.

You may also conceivably have a right to a grievance through your collective bargaining agreement, but that would depend on the language of the agreement. However, you may wish to get legal counsel before taking any steps that would lead to a dispute with the school administration.

Back to Top