Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

Can you provide recommendations of things to consider when developing a university program for students with learning disabilities?

We live in Beirut, Lebanon where my 19 year old son, who is diagnosed with dyslexia and ADHD, will be attending the American University for Science & Technology (AUST). AUST recently approved a program for students with disabilities and the university administration is working with the parents to develop an effective program. Can you provide us with any recommendations for things we should consider, such as assistive technology, teaching methods, training of teachers, etc., to guide us in this effort?


It is wonderful to hear about AUST working with parents to develop a program for students with disabilities. No doubt, collaboration between the two entities will enhance the process. There are many issues that need to be considered in such an endeavor in addition to those that you have mentioned.

I think a good place to start may be with the HEATH Resource Center Clearinghouse(opens in a new window), which provides information for students with disabilities on educational disability support services, policies, procedures, adaptations and access, as well as links to many other valuable resources.

Also, explore the web site for the Association on Higher Education and Disability — AHEAD(opens in a new window), which is the premiere professional association committed to full participation of persons with disabilities in postsecondary education.

In addition, I recommend that you contact the directors of various university programs for students with disabilities. These professionals should be able to provide you with information about the development and implementation of their own programs, as well as practical advice from their lessons learned.

Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities(opens in a new window), a directory maintained by the American Educational Guidance Center, can provide you with links to dozens of universities that have registered programs.

Back to Top