Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

How can I find a professional who can diagnose a learning disability?

A full psycho-educational assessment would be helpful to give you more information about the way this student learns.

First, find out from a school administrator exactly what services the school system can offer and when they could provide them. Express your concerns and find out the procedures involved in going through a screening process for your child. If the timeframe or suggestions are unacceptable, there are independent educational testers that you can go to privately. The following articles might be helpful to you:

There are several national organizations that can help families through this process and give local professional referrals. They might also have information about financial assistance for testing. You might want to contact:

Be sure to ask potential testers, tutors, and consultants about their experiences and specializations before choosing a provider.

Back to Top