Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

What recourse do parents have if a school does not conduct a three-year evaluation on time?

What if a school system does not meet the requirements for re-evaluation? I understand that a re-evaluation must be done within three years of the last evaluation. What recourse do we, as parents, have if that deadline is not met?

Dear Elizabeth:

There is no explicit remedy provided in the IDEA for failure to complete a three-year evaluation in a timely way. You have the option of filing an administrative complaint with the state Department of Education or requesting a due process hearing.

You might also request an independent evaluation at public expense on the grounds that the absence of an evaluation was equivalent to an inadequate evaluation. Doing so might well trigger the district to quickly decide to conduct an evaluation after all.

Back to Top