Skip to main content

My child has LD and the school wants us to sign a form stating that they have a right to contact her doctor to moderate her medication. I refuse to sign it. I don’t think the school has that right. Will they be able to do anything?


Dear Paula,

Your question relates to whether the school district may have you sign a form allowing them to contact your doctor in order to secure a change in your student’s medication. School districts may be legitimately interested in a child’s medical history and/or medication. However, you are not legally obligated to sign a consent to allow the school to access medical information, nor is the school allowed to condition participation in school or receipt of special education on your willingness to have your child receive medication or to receive a particular medication recommended by the school system.

Back to Top