Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

How do I get accommodations for standardized college admissions tests, such as the SAT and ACT?

My 9th grader has been on an IEP since 2nd grade. He has some ADD with a right hemisphere processing deficit. Do his accommodations for testing apply to PSAT’s and SAT’s and how do I alert the proctors of these tests?

The agencies that administer the ACT,SAT, and PSAT. have specific procedures for applying for accommodations on those tests. Generally, these applications are submitted on behalf of the student by the high school guidance/counseling staff based on time lines provided by the test administrators several months before the desired test administration date. Up-to-date testing is necessary to support any request for accommodations.

A child’s history of eligibility for special education or 504 accommodations helps to establish a record of disability, and the need for accommodations, but prior eligibility does not by itself provide a basis for eligibility for accommodations on the tests. Those decisions are made by the Test Administration agencies based on a combination of evaluation data, a record of impairment, and, to the extent provided, prior history of special education or 504 services.

Back to Top