Skip to main content

On January 8, 2002, President Bush signed into law the No Child Left Behind Act, a landmark in education reform. This law gives you—the parent—new options if your child’s school needs to improve. One very important option is “supplemental educational services.”

Supplemental educational services available under No Child Left Behind

Your child may be eligible for free tutoring and other supplemental academic enrichment services. These services are called “supplemental educational services” in No Child Left Behind. This article explains what supplemental educational services are and where you can go for more information.

What Are Supplemental Educational Services?

The term “supplemental educational services” refers to extra help in academic subjects, such as reading, language arts and mathematics, provided free-of-charge to certain students. These services are provided outside the regular school day—before or after school, on weekends or in the summer.

Who can get these services?

Generally, students who are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch and are enrolled in Title I schools that have been placed on the state’s “in need of improvement” list for two or more years are eligible to receive free supplemental educational services.

How will I know if my child is eligible?

Your school district will notify you if your child is eligible for supplemental educational services. If you think your child may be eligible, but you have not been notified, check with your school principal, the Title I director in your school district, or a local community partner. See the last section of this article for contact information.

How do I find a good supplemental educational services program for my child?

Your school district will give you a list of state-approved providers offering supplemental educational services in your area. You must choose from this list. Different kinds of organizations may be on the list, including: private educational providers; public schools; charter schools; private schools; school districts; community organizations (like boys’ and girls’ clubs); and faith-based organizations, such as churches, synagogues or mosques. Many providers will offer hands-on tutoring by trained instructors. Others may offer computer-based instruction that your child can access through a computer in a school or community center. You can ask the school district to help you choose the best provider for your child.

What happens after I’ve chosen a provider of supplemental educational services?

You will meet with the provider and your school district staff to discuss and agree upon specific goals for your child; to set up a schedule for services; and to decide how your child’s progress will be measured. Your school district will pay for the supplemental educational services. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact your school principal or the Title I director in your child’s school district.

Where can I get more information?

To learn about supplemental educational services in your area, you may contact:

  • Your local school district. Your school principal, other staff in your school or your district Title I director will be able to help you. The district phone number is usually listed in the blue pages of the local telephone directory.
  • Your local Parental Information and Resource Center
  • The U.S. Department of Education, toll-free at 1-888-814-6252.

Finally, be sure to attend parent-teacher conferences, parent organization meetings and other events at your child’s school. You can get a lot of information, ideas and help from teachers as well as from other parents.

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202
Back to Top