Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

My child has a disability and I would like her to begin physical therapy. Is it possible to have the school district pay for this?

If your child has a disability which requires physical therapy, she should also have an Individualized Education Program (IEP). When an IEP is developed the student has the right to related services, as appropriate, including physical therapy. These are written into the IEP and are provided without cost.

If your child is without an IEP, contact your school’s administrator and get the ball rolling on the eligibility process. The following articles describe the steps in the evaluation process:

If your child is ineligible for services or you are dissatisfied with the services provided, you can contact your primary care physician and ask for a referral for physical therapy with a private therapist.

Back to Top