Skip to main content

LD and Psychological/Psychiatric Issues

Submitted by an LD OnLine user on

Looking for some guidance in the state of Maryland. My child has an IEP in high school, and recently is being seen by psychologist and psychiatrist for ODD, and suicidal attempt and ideation. School system denied special transfer to another zoned school because I wanted to have my child supervised before and after school by our former baby sitter because I am a single parent who works early and later hours, four days a week. The school system denied the request due to no unforeseen emergency, even after they received a letter from my child’s psychologist and a phone call with my child’s psychologist explaining to them that it is best that my child be supervised and not be home alone.

I was wondering if there was any way around this, because I really need help. I have to leave her alone each day, with things locked up in the house and I worry that she might not go to school, or even lock the doors when she leaves. Also, walking to school for a mile alone is another concern of mine.

I’m not sure if there is any help for children with psychological issues in the school systems, unless it is severe.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Submitted by eoffg on Sat, 12/28/2013 - 9:26 AM


Hi CRenee,

With the supervision before and after school by the sitter, would this occur at the school or at home?
As I get the impression that this will occur at the school?
Where that would create a problem, as the school would still be legally responsible for your child, while on school grounds.
Also their could be a problem with allowing the sitter, to be at the school alone with your child? As the sitter isn’t school staff?
But could you take a different approach
Where the sitter comes to your house in the morning. Stays for a while and then walks your child to school.
Then later meets your child at the school and walks her home, and then stays at home with her, until you get home?

This would have nothing to do with the school at all, so they wouldn’t be involved.
If the sitter comes to your house in the morning, this would also solve any problems about locking doors, and making sure that she gets to school.

Submitted by CRenee on Sun, 12/29/2013 - 8:24 PM


Thanks for your reply…

But this would take place at my sitters house. Since I work early morning hours and late evening hours. I could drop my child off at my sitters house each morning and pick my child up on my way home from work. The sitter has agreed to administer her morning dose of Concerta, make sure she gets on the bus because her daughter is a year younger than my child and they would attend the same school if mine got a special permission transfer. The sitter also agreed to administer my child her prn dose if she needs it for homework time and provide constant supervision until I was able to pick her up on my way home from work.

All I am trying to do is to get her supervised when I am not able to do so. I know that she is 16, and that she should be able to do this on her own, but she has an LD, and a IEP since 1st grade for ADHD/LD and now recent psychological/psychiatric issues. The school system has already denied this request at the beginning of the school year, and each day for the past 3 months, I have went to work with sick to my stomach with worry, with things locked up in the house, and not knowing if she is okay.

I just wanted to reach out to see if there is anything out there for this type of situation for teens in high school. In other words… if she was in middle or elementary school a special permission transfer would not be a problem for a sitter in another school district in Maryland, but if you have a teen in high school with psychological issues that warrant supervision, you are denied such transfers to accommodate working single parents.


Submitted by eoffg on Tue, 12/31/2013 - 9:46 AM


As it would be at your sitters house, and that it is outside of school hours.
It really has nothing to do with the school.
I wonder if what you are looking for, is that under an IEP. That the school covers the cost of the sitter?
Or that the school provide a sitter?
But I’m not really sure what you are actually wanting the school to do?
Perhaps you could write a bit about what you want them to do?

Back to Top