Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

What services will be available to my child with LD once he graduates from college?

This transitional time can be particularly difficult for people with LD, because they are no longer receiving the support of special education or accommodations. At this time in your child’s life, it is very important that he understands his own strengths and weaknesses, and is able to explain his needs to others when necessary. Here is an article from the National Center for Learning Disabilities that talks about getting your learning needs met across the lifespan:

People with learning disabilities are protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In work situations where your disability would put you at a disadvantage, like a certification exam or written test, you can request “modifications of policies.” According to Title II of ADA, you can ask your employer for modifications like extra time or a reader. Just like in school, you will need current documentation of your disability so that people do not use this law to gain an unfair advantage.

If you have a question on a specific situation, you can call the ADA information line: 1-800-514-0301.

There are also agencies like the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) which helps people with disabilities find work, secure accommodations, or become self-employed. JAN is a free service of the Office of Disability Employment Policy at the U.S. Department of Labor.

On LD OnLine, we also have a whole section on adult issues. Since these are often quite different than the issues facing children with learning disabilities, you may want to investigate this information with your adult child.

It is important that your son knows that you are there, rooting for him and supporting him, but it is equally important that he takes steps to insure his own success.

Back to Top