Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

My adult daughter has a disability and is seeking employment. What should her first step be?

It is often recommended for an adult with a disability to contact her local vocational rehabilitation office. This state agency helps people with disabilities find appropriate jobs and further education. They can also provide some financial support and training, if needed. A counselor will talk with your daughter about career plans, work history, education and diagnosed disability. Some of the services that can be provided include: continuing education or specialized job training, including supplies and books; work adjustment training; tools and equipment, including assistive technology or adaptive devices/low vision aids which enable an individual to work; on-the-job training; and job placement and follow-up. A friend or family member is often welcome to accompany her to any of the meetings, if necessary. You can find a Vocational Rehabilitation Agency in your state to help as well as job search resources.

Back to Top