Skip to main content

Expert Q&A

What help is available for learning disabled adults seeking jobs?

It is often recommended that an adult with a specific learning disability and/or ADHD contact his or her local vocational rehabilitation office. Every state has such an office with counselors to help determine eligibility for services in the work setting. In addition to helping people with disabilities find appropriate jobs, they can also provide some financial support and training, if needed. A counselor will talk with a client about career plans, work history, education and diagnosed disabilities.

Some of the services that can be provided include: continuing education or specialized job training; work adjustment training; assistive technology; on-the-job training; and job placement and follow-up. A friend or family member is welcome to accompany the client to any of the meetings, if desired. Counseling can also be provided during the time clients are beginning a new job.

Also, explore the Job Accommodation Network website which specializes in accommodations in the workplace for individuals with disabilities. On this site, you will find excellent resources, including books and videos, which address this issue. Also, the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research provides leadership and support for a comprehensive program of research related to the rehabilitation of individuals with disabilities. All of their programmatic efforts are aimed at improving the lives of individuals with disabilities from birth through adulthood.

Finally, LD OnLine has in depth sections called Adults with LD and Transitions: School to Work which have a wealth of information about employment. For example, you will find the following articles there:

Back to Top